About Me

I'm in Brasil on Rotary Youth Exchange for 2010-2011, and ive started a blog to keep everyone updated :)

Saturday, October 23, 2010

on the move :D

Hey everyone, 
Thought I had better do another blog again before I head off to Pantanal :) 
I have had a really good past two weeks, unfortunatly being my last two weeks living with Irene and Mauro. 


on the weekend of the 9th of September, we had the wedding of Mauros nephew to go to in Itabeira. i went up there on the friday with my two 'cousins' Marina and Julia on the coach bus and the whole day saturday we spent our time doing face masks and manicures and hair and makeup and everything getting ready for hte wedding that night. 

My little cousins


Weddings here are slightly different to those in aus, the biggest difference being that they start late at night and finish just as the party starts, which may seem strange for the 'party'country. 


Me and my 3rd brasilian mummy, Irene

but seriously, the ceremony was at 7 and everyone started leaving the reception to go home at midnight!
in aus, it starts at 2 or 3 in the arvo and we keep on partying till 12 hours later!!!


but despite the shortness, it was a good night, and i got to use my grad dress again :)
one tradition that we dont have in aus is that the groomsmen run around with the grooms tie and a box and anyone who gives them money for the newlyweds, gets a cut off piece of the tie :)
naturally, i wanted a piece for my blazer, so my uncle gave me money and i got a little piece of tie!!!


oh, also another thing that i found hilarious was that halfway through the night when everyones feet were getting sore, they gave out these cool foam cutouts that you assemble and they turn into thongs!! everyone swapped their heels for their thongs and continued dancing :D was hilarious!

We came back to BH on monday (had the whole week off school!) and i went to my friends house for a party! her mum owns/works at a photography studio across from their appartment, so we went in there and partyed it up for the night  :D was very good fun. 


the rest of the week, i spent doing homework and going out a bit. Another dance lesson on thursday (loving them!) and then saturday we had a Childrens day at Number 1 (an english school where i go and help out a bit) which was really fun. Lots of games in english as well as a bit of hungarian and spanish (thats what happens when you get multiple exchangers involved!) and dont forget the fairy floss and popcorn!!! 






saturday night, me and Emily (canadian, awesome) got invited by my rotarian to her sons 15th birthday, so we went totheir appartment which was really huge and fancy, and partyed. 




They had japanese food and breads and cheeses and lebanese food (because they have lebanese roots) and lots of sickeningly sweet cake and bombons for the end. 






I realised it was the first time in brasil that i had eaten brie and camambert and blue cheese so i dug into those! they were sooo good. Leia (rotarian) also found 'australian' bread in the bakery so bought some for me :D it was a delicious dark rye, and something very australian i would think : )



Emily was having lots of trouble with her clopsticks so they gave her this little thingi that you clip onto the clopsticks so that you can squeze them together to pick up the food :D she got very excited about this, and i do believe that this little dooverhicky is now on her blazer :D



This week, i realised with a panic that i had two weeks of homework to fit into one week, so havent even been to school... but believe me, i have been doing more work than i do in school here.i woke up at 7am everyday and worked on my homework through till 2am that night sunday-thursday, with breaks only for lunch and dance lessons. It was intense. And jsut to make things even crazier, i had to pack for pantanal, AND to move families as my family wont be here in BH when i get back from my trip so they have decided to move all my things before the trip. 
its amazing once again how much junk i have, but its not junk if you get me?? anyway, my bag big case weighs a ton and im not quite sure how we will get it down the stairs... at least its not up aye!


wednesday night was rotary, and we had a special suprise birthday celebration for my old host dad. 



Me and my 2nd brasilian family (minus marillia because she is in Germany now!)


He didnt know that my brother and sister were going and they turned up late with the cake and suprised him :) it was soo nice and the look on his face was priceless!

now to go to bed and get my beauty sleep as it is almost 1am, and i ahve pantanal on sunday!!!!!!!





My 2nd host dad Pedro and mum Regina, 


when i get back i will do a day to day running of my trip for you all!!!


Okay, bye for noww!!!




xxxxx Em

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com